Why and how to use social media

Here are some free tips about how to set up social media for your business.

Why?

Social platforms help you stay in touch with your customers, increase awareness about your business, and boost your leads and sales.

There are currently more than three billion people around the world using social media every month, it’s safe to say this isn’t just a trend.

6 quick reasons why social should be part of your marketing plan.

1. Make people aware of your business

2. Show them you know what you are doing

3. Show Authenticity

4. Encourage Engagement

5. Provide a community for your customers

6. It dosn’t require a huge investment to get started

How?

If you are not operating with a considerable marketing team (or budget) then you should pick the platform that is closet to your marketing demographic and spend 90% of your time concentrating on that network.

Spend 90% of your time with this primary network and figure out works for you there. Then, use the other 10% to investigate another network that may complement your overall strategy.

I won’t go into all the different details and strategies about how to effectively post on social media but I will share a tip that most business owners overlook.

SCHEDULE YOUR SOCIAL POSTS.

Consistency (among other key things) is crucial to developing an online community. Spend dedicated time and schedule your posts for the upcoming week. Remember to apply a specific content marketing strategy so you are actually benifiting, and getting a return in your investment, from these social media posts.

We recommend using HOOTSUITE

If you would to ask specific questions about anything in this quick to feel free to contact us directly. We offer a free 30 minute consultation to anyone looking to grow their online presence.